Labels

Friday, November 11, 2011

Learning to make German Spaetzle

I recently spent a long weekend visiting my grandparents in Folsom, California. My grandmother, Sally, took the opportunity to teach me how to make traditional German Spaetzle. If you're not familiar, it's basically noodles that are served with meat and gravy. Very hearty. It seems the key to this recipe is having strong men around to beat the noodle mixture. Below is a photo of the dough, beaten till shiny.



Once the dough is prepared, it is spooned into the Spaetzle maker.



Fill till about 2/3 full.



Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Press dough through Spaetzle maker into boiling water. Let noodles puff up a bit and remove to a bowl of warm water to rinse until finally putting in a casserole dish for serving.



While this did take a bit of work, the noodles turned out great and the whole family enjoyed this delicious meal. Below is a video of my father teaching me his Spaetzle making technique.





No comments:

Post a Comment